Our Knowledge Base covers a wide variety of technical topics, from the basic to the complex.
How can I create a condensed version of text field on a report or form?
In order to show a portion of a particular field's data on a report and/or form, you need to take these two steps:
1) Create a new formula field that will hold the subset of the original field's data, and
2) Add the new formula field to the forms and reports where you want the condensed field showing.
To create the formula field that truncates a text field, you will want to use one of the three formula functions: Left(), Right() and/or Part(). Here are some examples of what could be in the formula for the new field:
1) "Left([LongField], 228)" will display the first 228 charachers of "LongField".
2) "Right([LongField], 1000)" will display the last 1000 characters of "LongField".
3) "Part([LongField],2,":")" displays everything between the 2nd and 3rd colon.
For more examples text functions available to you, see the following view in the "QuickBase Formula Functions" QuickBase:
Browse by Category
Knowledge Base Categories
- Accounts (35)
- Application (45)
- E-Mail (7)
- Fields (42)
- Forms (19)
- Formulas (18)
- General (71)
- Other Product (7)
- Pages (1)
- Product (5)
- Reports (15)
- Roles (4)
- Search (1)
- Tables (6)